Lately I have been struggling with the triplets. I feel like I spend more time yelling, disciplining, and getting mad at them, than actually having fun with and enjoying them.
I think that part of the problem, is lack of structure. I always say that they are so much better behaved when we are out doing something, then when we are at home. I think that is because at home, they are bored, and have too much "free time".
I try to make sure that we get out of the house at least 2 - 3 mornings a week, but it is impossible (and not practical) to go out and do something EVERY day. And with winter coming, I am sure we will start spending even MORE time at home.
So I have decided that I need to provide more structured play and activities when we are at home. I am *hoping*, that this will help to calm them down, and cut down on some of the fighting, and misbehaving.
You may remember, back in the Spring I made a detailed daily schedule. It was broken down into half hour increments, from the time I get up in the morning, to the time I go to bed. I didn't end up really using it for very long, but I think it was a good idea of how to provide structure for the day. So I am going to try making a daily schedule again. I am going to try and alternate high energy, stimulating activities, with low energy, calming activities.
Obviously I won't always follow it exactly, and some days I won't really follow it at all, depending on if and when we are out of the house. But for days when we are home, it will provide a "plan", with stuff to do, so that the kids don't just end up running around and destroying the house all day!
I am hoping it will also help me to start teaching the kids. They are 2 1/2 years old. It is definitely time to start working on letters, numbers, colors, etc. I am sure there are tons of activities out there, that we can do, that will help them to start learning these things.
So now, I just have to figure out my schedule, and what we are actually going to do!
5 comments:
I'm kind of like you with schedules, good intentions and then it's hard to follow through. Not really my personality. What I would suggest is posting the schedule in a way for the kids to follow it. My son's preschool moves a card back and forth into different slots. You could x through activities or put a sticker so the kids can follow through with you. Might be incentive to finish one thing and transition to the next if they have issues with that.
I want to make a schedule too!! We follow a basic routine throughout the day, but I'd love to add more time with Venily specifically for fun activities that we can do together! I'll let you know if I come across any good activities or websites!
Special K - thanks for the good ideas!
Jennifer - We also follow a basic routine, but like I said, the kids have too much free time, which just turns into fighting and destroying the house! lol! So I figure if I really can't get anything done during the day anyways, I might as well try to do more stuctured activities with the kids!
I also find there's a heck of a lot more fighting when they're bored. We get out of the house every morning, mostly to a fenced park, also to local indoor places with doors (I am lucky to be in a big city tho that has museums with toddler areas) so I can sit and monitor instead of having to run. I do not structure by half hours though. Seems it would be a recipe for failure since nothing ever goes according to plan with triplets. ONly things on structure are feedings and naps and bedtime. The rest is see what happens but try to get the hell out of the hosue in the morning and let them run and run until they fall down. Afternoons get a little hairy so we end up with a video in the 30 min before dinner about half the time. I am determined to get some crafts stuff in here soon but I think I need a kiddie table because last time I strapped them into their high chairs but only gave them fingerpaint? Big disaster. So I'm in the market for a crafts table for 4!
Thanks for your comment today! My DH will not play games but he will be ill prepared in handling me freaking out. I'm always the strong one mentally. I want someone else to be that day!
You should share your schedule. Id like to see your plan! :)
I feel exactly the same way. Keeping them busy keeps them out of trouble = less stressed Momma.
I recently made up a loose schedule. I, too, need to start doing more educational activities. I would like to follow a preschool type program (i.e. Having a color of the week, letter of the week...etc.) but havent found the energy to implement one! *sigh* The boys do go to preschool now 2 mornings a week. But they need more structured educational activities at home.
I feel like they are really behind. They can identify only a few shapes, numbers, colors, letters, animals, etc...And most of these they only identify receptively. They are still not speaking a lot.
Good luck with your new schedule and sticking with it, thats the hard part, right?? lol
Kind of like my diet and excercise routine....
Post a Comment