Thursday, November 26, 2009

Some People!

Some people seriously piss me off.

If I didn't know better, I would totally think I was pregnant again, because I am feeling the same hormonal crankiness that I usually get in early pregnancy! Apparently it extends into breast feeding as well! lol!

Jade got her report card on Monday. Jade is a very good student, so of course I expected mostly good marks from her, and of course that is what she got. The few things she needs to work on, involve socializing when they are supposed to be working. That didn't surprise me, since Jade is a social butterfly, and since she is so good at schoolwork, she is done quickly, and gets bored.

Now this is only grade 2, and they don't get letter grades, or percentages. They get "exceptional", "satisfactory", or "needs improvement" for the core subjects. Then for a bunch of other things, such as "Uses class time efficiently", they get "consistently demonstrates", "usually demonstrates", and I can't remember what the lower one is.

Well one of the other things, is "Participates in Home Reading". The Home Reading program, is where they are supposed to read a book that they bring home from school, that is in their reading level. They are supposed to read for 10 minutes a night, 5 nights a week. The parent has to write down each day in a duotang. There is also a picture of the map of Canada, and once they have so many entries, they get to color in a province. The goal is to get all of Canada colored in.

Jade does her home reading every single night. She is on level P, which is higher than they are even supposed to go in grade 2. She is one of the best readers in her class. Based on the instructions we were given at the beginning of the year, the ones in the front of the duotang, I thought we were only supposed to write down 5 nights a week, so that is what I have been doing, even though Jade reads EVERY night.

Well on her report card, under "Participates in Home Reading", Jade got "Usually demonstrates", and not "consistently demonstrates". WTH?! So I wrote a note to her teacher, asking why she got the lower mark? Her teacher replied back that a few weeks ago, when she was doing report cards, she just looked at everyones map in their duotang, and whoever had the most provinces colored in, got the higher mark.

Obviously some parents are writing down every day, not just week days, so their kids have more provinces colored in. I wrote back to the teacher that Jade does home reading EVERY day, but I hadn't been writing down the weekends, and I still didn't understand why she would give Jade a lower mark based on a technicality! She KNOWS how good Jade is at reading, and that she reads TONS at home! Instead of replying back, the teacher made little notes in Jade's duotang, pointing out any gaps in days. But she can't even count properly!!! Every weekend, she has "3 days missed", when there are only 2 days missed, and it was a weekend, which I TOLD her I hadn't been writing down!! I was so pissed off when she did that, that I wanted to write back and basically tell her how DUMB she is, and that her marking system is stupid, BUT, I contained myself, and decided to be the bigger person.

It is only grade two, and it isn't bothering Jade, so I am just going to let it go. BUT, I WILL make sure to write down EVERY SINGLE DAY from now until the next report card ;)

1 comment:

Jennifer Y said...

LOL, I have the hormonal crankiness still too! I have a much lower tolerance level for things while pregnant and I still feel that way now... I'm hoping it ends soon!

But, yeah, I'd be really mad at the teacher too! It's really no big deal and doesn't actually mean anything for her to get the lower mark, but I'm sure it means something to her and she obviously SHOULDN'T have gotten it! I hate it when teachers won't fix their own mistakes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...