Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reading Aloud

I hate to admit this, but I don't read to my children as often as I should.

When Jade was younger, I used to read her books every evening before bed. But once the triplets came along, life got hectic, and priorities shifted. Reading just wasn't very high on the list anymore - survival was! lol!

Once the triplets started to get a bit older, I started trying to re-implement our before bedtime reading ritual. But for one reason or another, it has just never seemed to work out. Some nights, we are running late on bedtime, and don't have time for books. Other nights, we simply forget. The rare evening when we do sit down to read, it seems no one will sit still and be quiet long enough to get through a story, so I get frustrated and give up!!

I realize, especially as a homeschooling parent, how important it is for me to read to my children. I recently read this blog post by a fellow homeschooling mom, on reading aloud to your children. It has really encouraged and inspired me, and given me helpful hints to make reading aloud easier.

So, on Thursday, I decided to step up my efforts with reading. I figured the best time to try to read to my kids, would be when they are already busy with something else. As soon as I got everyone settled at the table and eating breakfast, I pulled out a Berenstain Bears book, and started reading. The kids LOVED it - and so did I! :) They all sat nicely, eating and listening, and I was able to read the book to them, with minimal interruptions! I did the same thing at lunch.

This has now become a new part of our routine - listening to a book while eating breakfast and lunch. I am enjoying it, and the kids are enjoying it - and not only are they learning to sit and listen to a book, but they are learning life lessons as well! We have been reading Berenstain Bears books (we have a TON of them!), which all have great morals. I love watching my children learn - THIS is why I homeschool!! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...