Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Schedule.

Over the weekend, I typed up a new daily schedule for homeschooling. I felt like we were slacking in certain areas, using the excuse that we "ran out of time", yet we seemed to be wasting a lot of time during the day too. So, I decided to first write down everything that I want Jade and the triplets to accomplish for school each day. Then I typed up a schedule in half hour increments, and started fitting things in! Here is what our new schedule looks like:

Homeschool Schedule – Jan 2011

9:00am – Jade – Cursive and Math
Triplets – Downstairs – Letter/Number recognition
9:30am – Jade – Math and Spelling
Triplets – Upstairs - Workbooks
10:00am – Jade – Little House
Triplets – Free play Downstairs
10:30am – Jade – Journal
Kadance and Cole - Speech
11:00am – All – Read Aloud
11:30am – Jade – MFN
Triplets – Free Play
12:00pm - Lunch
12:30pm -
1:00pm – Jade – S.S./Science
Triplets – Quiet time – movie Downstairs
1:30pm -
2:00pm – Jade – Art
2:30pm -
3:00pm - Snack
3:30pm – Jade – Free Reading
4:00pm -
4:30pm -
5:00pm – Dinner
7:00pm – Jade – Practise piano
Triplets - Bedtime


It is still a work in progress, and we will tweak things as we need to. But I like having a set time to do each thing, so that nothing gets left out or "forgotten".

On Wednesdays, when we have Speech Therapy at 1:30pm, obviously the afternoon stuff will have to get shifted around, or left out. But most other days we are home, so this schedule should work well.

You probably noticed that Sage isn't on the schedule. Obviously I am not going to make her do school work, so the only thing I could have put her down for is a nap at 1:00pm, when the triplets have "Quiet Time". Today was a bit of a struggle with Sage, as I haven't yet figured out how to keep her happy, while giving full attention to the others. She spent most of the morning whining and crying. I hate that she doesn't nap in the morning anymore, as it used to work out great to do our school while she was napping. I know that in a few more months, she will be that much older, and be able to participate a bit more with the things I am doing with the triplets. Right now she is just at an awkward age/stage!

3 comments:

Special K said...

You sound on top of things! How fun! I would say maybe make one of the triplets her "helper/babysitter" to sit and play in one area with her for a bit. Maybe give them a task like "read this book to her" or "play with musical instruments with her." Maybe the "big helper" thing would make it so it wasn't like you were brushing her off onto other kids all the time, and they could anticipate their turn. Just a thought. She's definitely at the age where she probably wants to be entertained- and even little ones can do that. I also recommend the "The Toddler Busy Book" and the Preschool one. It's a lot of using household supplies to do activities. It seemed like a great book to do things spur of the moment.

BUILDING WITH 6 said...

Thank you for commenting on our blog! It's great to have fellow homeschoolers to support along the way...not to mention high order multiples! :)
I think your schedule is great....We don't use one right now- we just do things throughout the day as we can for now...I think as the quads are getting older, it will get easier. My Maya is probably about the same age as Jade. She'll be 9 in Feb. (3rd grade)
Keep up the good work!
I go to a lot of homeschool websites for ideas as well and "like" a lot of homeschool sites on Facebook too! :) Kami

Jennifer Y said...

I need a schedule too!!! You are my inspiration, I'm going to make one today! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...