Another thing I have been thinking about lately, is telling Jade about her biological father.
Since before Jade was even born, I have always said that I am going to be totally truthful and honest with her about her bio father. Then when she just turned 2, Gairod and I started dating, and we got married just after she turned 3. I know she remembers being in our wedding, and she remembers that me and her used to live with Grandma and Grandpa before we moved in with Daddy, but she doesn't realize that Gairod isn't her "real" father. Now I say "real" loosely, because he IS her real father, he is the only father she has ever known, but to a 6 year old, "biological" means nothing!
I have always planned on telling her, but the subject has never really come up! Now that she is 6 1/2, I am starting to worry about telling her too late, and her freaking out, and thinking that we have lied to her.
So last night I brought this up to Gairod. To be honest, I think I was almost more scared to talk to him about it than I am to talk to her! I didn't want him to take it the wrong way, and think that I want to tell Jade that he isn't her real dad. Like I said before, he IS her real dad, but I do think it is important that she knows that someone else helped mommy to make her.
This is where it gets tricky, because she doesn't really know anything about sex, or how babies are made. She has watched "A Baby Story" dozens of times with me, so she knows the gory details of how a baby comes out, but doesn't know how they get in there in the first place!
So now I need to figure out when, and exactly HOW to tell her, and I would like to do it somewhat soon.
1 comment:
That is a tough one. My friend is going through the same thing. Her daughter is 10 and she has just now told her about her Father and letting her make up her own mind on meeting him, etc...
I think Jade is too young for that talk. She is too young to understand and I think she is too young to actually care. My friends daughter, Lyric, asked a few questions, wanted to see a picture of him and then hasnt brought it back up. She said she isnt ready to meet him. She is a pretty mature 10 year old...
Post a Comment