Friday, September 18, 2009

Frustrated

My determination to have a good week paid off, and I DID have a good week, up until today. Today my kids are frustrating me again.

I KNOW that they still need an afternoon nap, because when they don't have one, they are very cranky by late afternoon. But I am STRUGGLING with trying to get them to nap! I KNOW that a BIG part of the problem is the fact that there are three of them in one room, but there really is no other option right now, so that is just the way it has to be!

As soon as I put them down, they are all up laughing and giggling and jumping on beds, and playing around. I can't, as my husband suggests, stand at their door, and go in and yell at them continually, until they finally stay in bed and go to sleep. I have tried this, and all it does is make me more and more mad! Plus, it is not practical, and completely defeats the purpose of me getting a chance to get anything done, or relax and have a little break.

So I have resorted to putting them into their beds, and then leaving them, HOPING that they will eventually settle down and go to sleep. Some days they play, talk and giggle for a bit, then go to sleep within 1/2 - 1 hour. Other days (like today), they just get rowdier and rowdier, and eventually start destroying their room. They get into child locked drawers, and pull out ALL of the wipes, and they get stuff down from heights that there is NO WAY they should be able to get it down! I have often heard the suggestion to take everything out of their room, except for their beds, but again, due to MAJOR lack of space, that is NOT an option for us!

So I am at my wits end! I don't know what to do. Today I went into their destroyed room, sat on the floor, and just cried. I need them to nap, and I know that THEY need to nap, but I don't know how to get them to consistently do it!

5 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

That sounds INCREDIBLY frustrating! Sorry I don't have any advice for you though, I just finally got my daughter to lay in her bed and go to sleep on her own. Up until about a week ago, I was still having to sing to her and lay next to her bed until she fell asleep!

Mira said...

I'm sorry. I feel for you. Especially having to clean up after nap. That's terrible. Soon they will be old enough for consequences but until then? I don't know what the answer is. How about hanging sheets across the room so they can't see each other?

Cassie said...

I have the exact same problem! They have nothing to get into, but they just play and play and PLAY! Which would be fine, b/c they are in their room and I can get things done, but they are SO cranky by dinnertime, they wont eat, they have even climbed in my bed and gone to sleep at 5:30! And I agree with you 100%, going in there just frustrates ME more! So, I let them be. I dont know if yours are old enough, but I would definitly make them clean up the mess they have made! And these are awesome...no way they are getting in the drawers! http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/71175/Cabinet_Locks_Magnetic_Tot_Lok_Deluxe_Starter_Set.html
If they are opening the drawers and using them to climb, these will prevent that also!! These should keep them out of the closet! http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/312/312__Deluxe_BiFold_Door_Lock_2_pack.html
I would put everything in the closet that you can! Can you get rid of the changing table? You have one in the babies room, right?? I just change mine on the floor... But I guess thats not so easy being pregnant! Could you just drag the changing table in the hallway, just at nap time? It may not be ideal, but if it saves you the stress of cleaning up after every nap, its worth it! Anyway, you have probably thought of all this, and Im not being helpful at all! But I know how it is! Also, I have noticed the earlier they wake up, the better nap they take! So if they are up by 7am, they are ready to nap after lunch and dont fight it much! Maybe you could wake them up early?? Even if you just put on tv and give them milk and a cereal bar, and lie back down, thats what I do a lot of the time...I mean, its STILL dark at 7am, Im not ready to get up!!lol Just some ideas.....Take it easy, girl!

Special K said...

The only thing that works with Sylvie is rubbing her back, stroller or car rides. Any chance of pushing them in a triple stroller around the neighborhood with a cup of milk and their blankeys? When she falls asleep in the stroller, we just leave her in it and leave it close (like the garage). I can't imagine rubbing 3 kids backs at once, but I do know the home daycare providor friend I have plays classical music and stays in the room til they fall asleep.

The Lewis Family said...

Hi. My name is Melissa and I am visiting from Caitlin's blog...

I have a nearly 3 yo and a 15 month old. Both are in "big girl" beds sharing a room. I used to have the same problem until I decided to put them down in shifts.

I put my oldest down first and then about 20-30 mins later (give or take a few) when my oldest is ASLEEP I put my youngest down and she goes to sleep without a peep!

I understand that you have triplets and that may sound really time consuming, but if you get one down, and have quiet time with the other two to get them to start winding down, then put one of the two down and then put your last one down iti may work...

Good luck! I hope it helps!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...