Tuesday, September 22, 2009

40 week prenatal appointment!!

Today I had my 40 week prenatal appointment - my FINAL one!!

Everything is still fine, baby is head down. My uterus is measuring 40 weeks, and baby's heart rate was 140 bpm. He checked me again today, and no change - my cervix is softening, but not doing anything else. My doctor is still confident that I will go into labour on my own, within the next week. BUT, in case that doesn't happen (and I really don't think it will), he booked me in for an induction next Tuesday, September 29th, at 9:30am!!!

I am excited, scared, and nervous, all at the same time! I really wasn't expecting him to book anything today, I thought I would come back for one last prenatal appointment next week and THEN he would book something. Having an actual date makes it all seem so final. I WILL have my baby by next Tuesday (or Wednesday, depending on how long it takes!) I am SOOO happy that he is willing to induce, since so many doctors won't induce a VBAC. He said we will start by inserting a catheter into my cervix, to try and get it dilating. Then if we need to, he will start me on a low dose of pitocin. That makes me SO happy (yes, I KNOW I just said that!)! I didn't think he would use pitocin, but I am glad that he will :)

It's kind of scary and surreal. In some ways I am totally ready, but in others I don't feel ready at all. It also doesn't help that Gairod's work schedule is CRAZY right now, so he would like me to put off having the baby as long as possible. - Yeah, okay honey, I'll just keep it in here for a few more months, until things settle down a bit!! But seriously, I do feel somewhat guilty that I am going to be having a baby right away, and taking him away from work. I know that sounds crazy, but it is just how I feel!

SO, I would still prefer to go into labour on my own, but not this week! lol! I would like to hold off until the weekend, so that Gairod can at least get a full week of work in! But whatever will be, will be! Next week at this time, I will either have had my baby already, or I will be in the hospital, only hours away from having it!!!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

You're almost there!!!!

Jennifer Y said...

Good luck!! I wish I had a final date!! This little girl is making me crazy with all this waiting and not knowing what is going to happen! :)

The Merry Band of Fife said...

Jenn - I went into labor on my own the day after I scheduled my induction with Cecily. Maybe it'll work for you too. If not, my VBAC inductions went beautifully and I'm sure yours will too.

Jenn said...

Melissa - I didn't realize you were VBAC and induced! How did they induce you? How long did it take??

The Merry Band of Fife said...

I was induced with my first VBAC by AROM only, which worked all by itself. I was also induced with my fourth (3rd VBAC) and that was a full-on pitocin induction. I'm SO glad my OB was willing to go that route for me - both inductions went just as beautifully as my spontaneous VBACs. You are so close to the end - hang in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...