Today is Mother's Day. This morning we got up, got the kids dressed, and went out for breakfast with Gairod's family, just like we do every Mother's Day. Before that, Jade gave me her handmade gift from school, a card she made at home, and 3 cards that she helped the triplets make for me!
For me, Mother's Day is not about expensive gifts, or fancy meals, or expecting to relax and be pampered for the day. With 4 young kids, that is just not practical, and I would only be let down.
As I sit and reflect on this Mother's Day, I can not believe that I have been a mother for almost 7 years. To me, that is a long time. Sometimes I feel as though I have always been a mother, and other times I feel like I am just starting.
I truly believe that being a mother is one of the hardest, yet most rewarding jobs there is. The moment you become a mother, you are entrusted with a human life. It is YOUR job to nurture and grow a tiny infant, into a productive, responsible and respected adult. There is no right way, and there is no wrong way. There is no instruction manual, and no one can tell you how to do it. You need to figure it out on your own, or with the help of your partner. You WILL make mistakes, you WILL NOT be perfect. All you can do is your best, and everyday, you will question whether or not you have done that.
For me, everyday feels like Mother's Day. Each morning when I am greeted by 3 smiling toddlers, every hug, every kiss, every cry for "Mommy!", I am reminded how much I am loved and depended on. I don't need a day to tell me I am special - my kids do that for me everyday :)
No comments:
Post a Comment