Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We had a little scare.....

So today I took the kids grocery shopping, just like I do every Tuesday. It is cold here today, only about 1 degree Celsius. When I was getting Kadance into the cart, I noticed a few small hives on her hand, but didn't really think much of it. I got everyone loaded in and organized, and we headed into the store. Kadance was whining and fussing right from the start, but I thought that Hayden was just squishing her, so I kept moving him over, and telling her to stop fussing! About half way through my grocery shopping, I happened to glance down at Kadance's hands, and noticed that they were covered in large hives, and VERY swollen! My first thought was that she was having an allergic reaction to something, but I had no idea what! None of my kids have ever had allergies before! I rushed through the rest of my shopping, called my mom, dropped off the other kids, and took Kadance to the Urgent Care center. By the time we got there, her legs and feet were covered in large hives, and her feet were swollen as well.

She didn't eat anything new, and I haven't switched soaps or detergents or anything! The doctor said that sometimes they can develop an allergy to something that they have previously been fine with. Or, they can have a one time reaction to something, and you never do find out what it was. She also said that some people are allergic to the cold, this is called Cold Urticaria, but it is very rare for a child Kadance's age to have this allergy. They gave her some Benadryl, and said we can't really do anything but watch and see if she has another reaction, and try and figure out what is causing it.
So when I got home, I googled Cold Urticaria, and the symptoms sound almost exactly like the ones Kadance had! Usually people will develop it when they are in their late teens, or early 20's. It was hard to find anything about children having it, and even what I did find, talked about children 7 and older. It worries me though, because it said that of the children that are diagnosed with it, 1/3 are anaphylactic!
It is really frustrating not really knowing! I like to be in control, and know what I am dealing with, so it is going to be hard to just sit and wait to see if she has another reaction!

2 comments:

Haley said...

That's scary, I hope that is a one time thing.

Cassie said...

WOW, That is scary!
I hope you are able to figure out what caused it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...