Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weird.

So my plans for starting to get Sage onto more solid food are not really working out. Go figure. For so long I have NOT wanted to start her on food, and now that I have decided to do it, she is not cooperating. *Sigh*, I have a feeling she could be a bit stubborn when she gets older.....

On Monday evening, she had a weird puking episode. She hadn't had cereal since before her chest infection, and since she was finally better, I fed her cereal Monday before bed. She ate it fine. Then at about 10pm, I could hear her fussing on the baby monitor, so I went in to give her her soother, and discovered that she had puked all over her crib. And I don't just mean she spit up, I mean she puked. ALL of her cereal had come up, as well as the pink antibiotics she had had. Nice. So Gairod got her bathed - did I mention it was all stuck in her hair?! - and I got her sheets changed and rinsed out. We were just finishing getting her new sleeper on, and she started puking again. Poor baby had already thrown up everything in her tummy, so it was just bile and spit. We brought her out to the living room, where she proceeded to "puke" (really it was just bile and dry-heaving) several more times. She was pale and weak. I have NEVER seen a baby puking like that. In fact, I have often wondered how you would actually know if a baby was vomiting, or just spitting up. Now I can tell you - you will know. At about 11:30pm, I really wanted to go to bed, so I brought Sage with me. She hadn't thrown up in about half and hour, and she had NOTHING left in her tummy, so even if she did start "puking" in my bed, it wasn't going to make a mess. She was fine. She woke up around 3:45am, and was STARVING! I took her out to the living room, and she ate, and ate, and ate. I then put her back in her bed, and she slept until 7:30am.

She was fine the next day, but I didn't try to feed her cereal, just in case. On Wednesday I tried feeding her cereal, and she was gagging on it, and didn't want to eat it. I tried twice on Thursday, and again, she was gagging, and not wanting to eat it. On Friday I tried a couple times, and same thing, only now she has learned how to push the spoon out of her mouth with her tongue. So apparently, Sage has decided that she no longer likes cereal. So today, when she refused the cereal again, I tried giving her some apple sauce, thinking surely she would like the sweetness, right?! WRONG!! She wouldn't eat that either!!

So I am at a loss. Do I just keep trying to force food on her? Do I give it a break for a couple days, a week maybe, and then try again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Really, you would think with this being my FIFTH kid, I would know how to do all this stuff! lol!

2 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

I'd wait a few days and then try again. If that doesn't work, I'd wait a few more days and so on. I definitely wouldn't push it or she might associate the bad experience with eating and then not want to! As long as she's nursing good I don't think it's a big deal at all!

Special K said...

Hmmm....my first thought was Celiac's disease. Maybe wait a few days and then go for solid foods like baby food banana, veggies, nothing with wheat, oats or rice in it. Just a thought. She seems so much like my sis as a baby and my sis is celiac. Anyway, worth a go. Maybe a call in to the doc nurses station. Is she 4 or 6 mos? After 6 mos. I think solids become more important. Beforehand, eh, not so crucial. Also, Sylvie had serious issues when we switched to milk, but they passed. Pediatrician said "lactose intolerant temporarily" adn while I didn't believe it at the time, she was right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...