Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A little bit disappointed....

On Tuesday evening, I went to a homeschool group meeting, in Airdrie. I am pretty sure they are the only homeschooling group in Airdrie (there are none in Crossfield), so I thought I would check them out! I thought it might be nice to meet some more local people who homeschool, who we could maybe become friends with.

Well, I was a bit disappointed. They were TOTALLY NOT my kind of people! I felt like I had walked into the 1800's! Most of the ladies were in very plain clothes, skirts and blouses, no makeup, hair put up in a bun. Seriously, I felt like I was in the wrong century!! One of the announcements was about a fashion show and tea that one lady is hosting, where all the girls can come and show off their sewing and knitting projects. They were also very religious, and their next meeting is watching a video about how to keep your children from walking away from the church.

Now none of these things are bad, and please don't think I am bashing them. I am simply stating that their ways/interests seem to be very different than ours, and I really can't see developing many friendships.

But, I did get a chance to talk with one of the ladies, and find out a bit more about funding and school boards.

I am now up to about 90% sure that I am going to homeschool! I am currently reading a book called "Dumbing us Down" by John Taylor Gatto. If you have ever considered homeschooling, or had doubts about the school systems, I would HIGHLY recommend reading this book!

3 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

Oh, that's too bad! When I think of homeschooling, that is the type of people I imagine though!

Jenn said...

SO true Jennifer! lol! I was telling my mom that they were totally stereotypical homeschoolers! But I KNOW that not all homeschoolers are like that, I met a very nice, NORMAL lady at Jade's gymnastcs class who homeschools, in fact, she was the one who got me really thinking about it!!

Jan said...

Hey Jenn, check out this blogs that I came across...
http://naturenest.wordpress.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...