Friday, January 8, 2010

Contemplating.....

The last few days, I have started to think about Homeschooling. I almost can't even believe I am typing this, since homeschooling is something that I always used to think was dumb (no offense to anyone who homeschools!!).

This is NOT something that I will jump into, or take lightly. It is something that I want to seriously think about, and if I were to do it, I wouldn't start until the new school year, in September.

My main reason for contemplating homeschooling, is Jade. Jade is SUCH a bright girl, and I really feel that the school system is holding her back, and not letting her reach her full potential. She is reading WAY above grade level, but at school, they will only let her read up to a certain level of books, because "that is the highest they are aloud to go in grade 2". Jade is very artistic, and I would love to let her explore and utilize her talents more. Jade is also very curious, and eager to learn. For example, she found a decorative spoon at my mom's house, that has some sort of Asian writing on it. She brought it home, and took it to school, to see if she could find a book at the library to see if it was Chinese or Japanese writing, and what it said. How many other 7-year-olds would do that?!

If I were to homeschool her, I could tailor her education to actually challenge her, explore her interests, and indulge her passions. Now you might be thinking, why don't I just let her do those things after school hours? Why? Because there are not enough hours in the day! If I were to homeschool Jade, she would be home all day, and we would have the time to do required things like Math, as well as explore her interests!

I am also not a big fan of the "social" problems in school, especially for girls. I would love to have more control over that aspect of her life, at least for a little while longer!

And, I have to be honest, I also like the fact that we wouldn't have to adhere to a school schedule, drop her off in the morning, pick her up after school, etc. We could do our work when WE want to, when it is convenient for us.

If I were to start homeschooling Jade in September, I would also do a bit of a preschool program with the triplets. When she is at the table doing book work, I would have them at the table doing work sheets, and coloring sheets, and learning their colors, shapes, numbers, and letters.

Like I said, right now, I am just thinking about it, and trying to find out as much information as I can. It is A LOT to think about, and a big decision to make. If anyone reading this homeschools, and has any advise for me, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! :)

2 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

I would LOVE to homeschool too! My husband says no because the whole reason we can't have a third baby is because he wants to get our kids off to school so I can go back to work! :( I am already thinking I'm going to skip Venily and Haven ahead a grade so that they won't be the oldest in their class (the cutoff is Sept 1st and they have Sept & Oct bdays), so they'll be a little more challenged because I know that schools often tailor to the lower level students to try to bring them up to standard, they don't have time to accommodate the higher level students as well! I've been in a lot of schools during my student teaching and subbing and I know that a lot of times when teachers do try, they just end up giving them more work on top of the work they assign the other students, not really challenging them at all, but just to keep them busy!

That is RIDICULOUS that Jade is only allowed to go up to a certain reading level! I would be so angry at the school!

And I am paranoid to DEATH about other kids being mean to my kids or teaching them bad things! lol! I have a feeling that I'm going to be hosting a lot of get togethers and sleep-overs b/c I am going to want to supervise, haha! My kids are going to hate me...

Good luck with your decision!!!

Special K said...

You could always do a trial run over the summer with one short stint of curriculum, etc. This post made me laugh because Logan is 6 (kindergarten) and suddenly has this huge interest in sign language and chinese and I was also thinking about how I could cram more hours in the day, visit the librarian for suggestions of books appropriate for him, etc. I also would love to protect my kids better, seems the world even in kindergarten, can be cruel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...