Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Discipline

I will be the first to admit, I slack off when it comes to discipline.

Jade was SUCH a good kid (and an only child for the first 5 years), that I never really had to discipline her. The triplets on the other hand, are a totally different story! lol! Because there are 3 of them the same age, there is a lot more bickering, toy stealing, hitting, bugging, etc, then you would get with 3 kids of different ages. So in reality, I could CONSTANTLY be punishing someone for something. But lets be real, I can't spend my entire day disciplining. I need to "pick my battles" - so to speak! BUT, I tend to let it go a little too far, and let them get away with more than I should.

For a while we were doing a "time out chair", and it was actually working really well. But it was a bit of a pain, because we were using their chairs from the table, so we were constantly moving chairs around, and eventually I just got tired of it, and stopped. Lately we have been trying to just send them to the end of the hall for a time out, but it has NOT been working. They won't stay there, they run away, they peek around the corner, etc.

SO, I have decided to go back to a "time out chair", this time getting specific chairs, that are ONLY to be used for time out. Superstore had the little kid size patio chairs on sale for $4, so yesterday, I picked up 3 of them. I have explained to the kids, that these are going to be our "time out chairs". Whenever they fight, whine, don't listen, etc, they will have to sit in on of the chairs (I got 3 for the times when I need to discipline all of them at once!), for 3 minutes. If they get off the chair before the timer goes off, they will have to start their 3 minutes over again.

I am hoping if we can get back to proper discipline at home, they will stop acting up so much when we are out, where it is harder to discipline them.

Wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...