Thursday, December 8, 2011

Does it Matter??

I have been thinking a lot lately, about what really matters in my life.

Maybe it's the time of year that is quickly approaching, or maybe it's the fact that I am getting older, and maturing. Whatever the reason, I have been realizing lately, that I can't do everything I want to do, or everything that I think I should do. But I am also realizing that time is passing by faster than I would like to admit, and before I know it, I will be old, my kids will be grown, and I won't have any time left.

So, I am trying to step back, decide what is really important to me, and focus more of my energy into a few things that really matter (to me), instead of spreading myself too thin, and trying to do "everything".

If you remember back in the Fall, in this post, I talked about wanting to simplify, and get back to the basics of homeschooling. Spending time with my kids is important to me. Putting my kids in 83 activities is NOT important to me.

Gymnastics just ended, and Swimming lessons is almost done. I have happily decided to NOT re-register the kids for either activity over the winter months. We WILL continue to go to the pool and swim most Friday afternoons, but we will not be tied into lessons. That way if the weather is crappy, or if a friend wants to get together, we are free to change our plans. We will probably do another session or two of swimming lessons in the Spring, but for now, we are taking a break. 

I just feel like I am done trying to impress other people, or do what is "expected" of me. It's my life, and I only get to live it once. I don't want to have any regrets. I don't want to get to the end, and have a long list of things that I "wish I would have done", or "wish I had the time to do". If it's important to me, I need to find the time to do it. If it's NOT important to me, I am not going to waste my time doing it.

I realize that this is kind of a weird and random post. I don't know what it is, but I just feel different lately. I feel happy and content with my life, and I feel in control of my future. I don't really know how else to explain it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...