Let's see, I last posted about this on Sunday, right?!
On Monday I got a call from a La Leche League lady, and she said that it definitely sounds like I have thrush, and that I need to get some prescriptions from a doctor. She said I need an topical cream, a systemic anti fungal, and an oral anti fungal for Sages mouth.
SO, I called and got an appointment for Wednesday. On Wednesday I went in (to my regular doctor, the same one I saw the previous Wednesday), and this time he didn't even look at me. I told him I have open sores on my nipples, and he didn't even ask to see them. I showed him the pamphlet on Thrush that the LLL lady emailed me, and he looked over it, and said that most of it was wrong. Oh, did I mention that he didn't even know what LLL was?!?! So, he said he would get me an appointment with a lactation consultant. I managed to get him to write me a script for an anti fungal cream (Lotriderm), but he would give me anything systemic, OR give me anything for Sage's mouth, so that she doesn't keep passing it back to me. So yeah, I was NOT very happy when I left his office, but I was happy that I was at least going to get see a lactation consultant, who would surely be able to help me! Or so I thought.....
When I got home (we had Cole's speech therapy that afternoon, so we didn't get home until a few hours later), there was a message from the doctor's office, saying that I had to call and make the appointment myself. They gave me the name and number, and said to call as soon as possible, because she only had one appointment left for next week! So I called, gave the LC a brief history, and she simply said "You need to call Communicable Diseases, they'll deal with that, here is their number" and pretty much hung up on me. I stood in the kitchen fighting back tears. All I want is some help. I just want someone to give me what I need, so I can start getting this cleared up. I can deal with the pain, if I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it is still dark.
So I posted something on Facebook, and got tons of responses! Apparently a lot of people I know have had thrush! lol! So I got a few ideas of some over the counter stuff I could try.
Diflucan is the systemic anti fungal that my doctor wouldn't give me. He said that you can't take it while breastfeeding. BUT, everything I have read says that that is what you need to take for thrush. So, I learned that you can get it over the counter (CanesOral), so I got it, and I took it. I was also told that you can use the Canesten cream on your nipples, so I got that too.
According to the box, it may take a couple of days for the CanesOral to start working. I only took it yesterday afternoon, so I am still waiting. As for my poor nipples, they aren't getting any better yet either. I am using the Lotriderm twice a day, the Canesten twice a day, and last night I started using the GV again. Nursing still hurts SO BAD!! I STILL have open sores, and it seems just when they start to heal, they open back up again :( Now my nipples are looking quite red and sunburn-ish. I am eating yogurt, and I am taking Odorless garlic (it's supposed to help clear the yeast out of your system).
I am REALLY hoping that things start to improve over the weekend. If they don't, I will go to a walk-in clinic, and see a DIFFERENT doctor, early next week. This is seriously wearing me down, physically, AND emotionally. I have been dealing with thrush for 2 weeks already, and I just want it to start getting better.
No comments:
Post a Comment