Isn't it amazing how good a bit of encouragement can make us feel?!
Today I got a call from our homeschooling advisor. With the homeschooling board we are registered with, it is required that we meet with our advisor at least twice during the school year. Once near the beginning, and once near the end. Besides that, it is totally up to us to determine how much contact we want with our advisor. They are available to help if need be, but they will also leave us alone and let us do our own thing if that is what we want. This is one of the things that made me decide to go with this school board. I want to be able to do what I want to do, and not have someone breathing down my neck the whole time! lol!
So our advisor called today, to introduce himself, and set up our first meeting. After talking with him, I am feeling refueled and encouraged!! We seem to have very similar views on how to homeschool, which really makes me feel better about the fact that I don't want to "do school at home", but take on a more traditional homeschooling approach. He told me not to become a slave to the curriculum, but to do what works best for me and my child. He was also very encouraging of my ideas to go with more "child-led learning" for subjects like Social Studies and Science, as opposed to following a curriculum.
So basically, he helped me to validate to myself, that what I am doing is fine, and I don't need to worry about what other people think I should or shouldn't be doing. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment