Saturday, February 20, 2010

Second Step.

Yesterday, I took the second step, and told Gairod how I have been feeling.

Earlier in the week, I had suggested getting his mom to babysit, and going out for Wing Night at a local restaurant. He said we couldn't afford it. I was pissed. I realize that he has been majorly lacking work lately, and we really don't have any extra money to spend, but in my opinion, spending $50 on dinner, is an investment in our marriage. Not to mention the fact that he has been spending a lot of days down at his brother's shop, working on little projects, and they go out for lunch EVERYDAY.

We haven't been out since Sage was born, almost 5 months ago. Although she is no longer sleeping through the night (I will do a post about THAT later!), she is still steadily eating and going down between 7 and 7:30pm. So theoretically, if we left at 8pm, and made sure to be home in a few hours, she would be fine. And if she happened to have a problem, the restaurant is less than 5 minutes away, and we could just come home.

So I was mad that he, in my mind, didn't want to go out with me. I have been so down lately, that I thought maybe a change of pace and some re-connecting might help lift my spirits. Instead, I was shut down, which just made me more mad.

So again, on Friday morning, I said Let's get your mom to babysit, and we can go out for a late dinner tonight. He didn't say anything about it all day, so before I left to take Jade to Art class, I said You can figure out dinner tonight since I figured he obviously didn't want to go out.

When we got home from Art class, Gairod was making dinner. That totally crushed any last shreds of hope I had about getting to go out. I was pissed off, and I made it known. I told him it makes me feel un-loved, that he doesn't want to spend any time alone with me. He wants me to have sex whenever HE feels like it, but he isn't willing to do something I want to do (go out for dinner) in return. He said We CAN'T go out alone, we would have to bring Sage. I said No we wouldn't, I wanted to go for a LATE dinner, at 8pm, so that all the kids would be in bed!! He said Oh. A few minutes later, he got up from the table while I was wiping kids off, and went into our room. I looked at the phone in the kitchen, and the "in use" light was on. A little while later, when I was changing Sage, I popped into our room, and hit re-dial on our phone. His mom's cell number came up. He had called his mom, to see if she would come over later to babysit. I KNEW that was what he had done. Now I was even MORE mad!!

I didn't want him to take me out on a pity date, because I guilted him into it. I wanted him to take me out because he WANTED to spend time with me.

Sure enough, at about 7:50pm, I was folding clothes in our room, and Gairod came in. Get ready to go he said. Why? I said, playing dumb. Because my mom is coming to babysit, so we can go out and spend some time together. I didn't want to go. I had a headache, I was mad, and I just wanted to curl up in a ball, go to sleep, and make the world to away for awhile.

I told him I didn't want to go out on a "pity date". He said it wasn't a pity date, he had it planned all along, he had called his mom that morning. I called bullshit. I said I know you called your mom while I was cleaning the kids off. He said that no, he just called her then to change the time, since he was going to have her come over at 6:30pm. I still call bullshit. He made dinner for ALL of us. He had no intentions of us going out for dinner. I just left it. I didn't feel like arguing. But I was still hurt, and still mad.

So we left, and Gairod asked what I wanted to do. I didn't want to do anything. I had wanted to go out for dinner. I didn't feel like doing anything else.

Then he said it: What's wrong? And I opened up the flood gates, and let it all out.
I said I don't know what's wrong. I am going to the doctor, I think I might be depressed. I said that I have just been feeling so down, and mad, and overwhelmed, and unmotivated lately, and I don't know why, or how to make it stop.

He didn't understand.

He just kept saying Well stop feeling that way. He wasn't saying it in a mean way, but more in a way that he really didn't know what to say, and didn't quite understand, so that was the best he could come up with.

I told him that I don't WANT to feel this way, and I don't know HOW to stop feeling this way. I could tell that he still wasn't really getting it, so I just left it.

I told him, and that was the important thing.

3 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

I'm glad you told him! I swear, my husband's reaction would have been the exact same, most guys just don't get that kind of thing! But at least you told him and his reaction wasn't negative.

And your date night- I could see my husband being the EXACT same way! We get in fights all the time over stuff like that!

I hope you start feeling better soon! ♥

Jenn1541 said...

I honestly teared up reading that Jenn. I feel for you and I hope you start to feel better. Men are stupid and sometimes dont think. They dont understand how life can be overwhelming. Travis told me to "stop feeling like that" too and I swear to God it took all of me not to knock his teeth out! I hope you get to the doctor and she or he will help you. Remember I am only 15 minutes away and will come for a bitch fest whenever you want!

Scofield Family said...

I think the hardest time was the first time I had to tell my husband how I was feeling and for him to look at me like I was just making something huge out of feeling a little overwhelmed. I then told him to watch how I deal with the kids and the next week he did and he came to agree something was different about me. The thing that helped me realixe what was going on was I had a friend who had ppd and she finally sat me down and pointed out all of the odd things that I had started doing. I agree his reacion sounds pretty normal for the first talk about depression.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...