Wednesday, April 21, 2010

RAST results.

I haven't blogged about Sage's RAST results yet, because I am frustrated, and a bit concerned.

Sage's RAST test for milk came back negative. That can mean one of many things. It could be a false negative, which I have been told is common with babies. It could mean that she doesn't have a milk protein allergy, but could be lactose intolerant.

The thing that is concerning me, is that she could have FPIES. Instead of trying to explain what FPIES is, you can read about it here. Sage's "episodes" of vomiting, seem to be classic FPIES symptoms. BUT, like I said, it could also be any number of other things.

So basically, I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. I hate the not knowing. If I know what exacting is wrong, I can learn how to deal with it. When I don't know, I feel like I am driving in a foreign country without a map.

I am thinking that maybe I should push my doctor for a referral to an allergist. I don't know........

3 comments:

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

Hugs! I know the *allergy* path is a PITA. So far it is only the rice cereal she vomited correct? Skip it. She is nursing still right? Are YOU eliminating milk or spy from your diet? If you are living a normal life and nursing I highly doubt she is having dairy/soy issues. She appears in photos to be VERY healthy, skin seems clear. If she was having serious reactions to these items you would already have seen signs with your nursing. If she is formula fed she would be having issues at the beginning also.
If rice cereal is the only item that she rejects try cream of wheat, barley or oatmeal cereal. Or skip the cereal all together and continue on with the jarred or homemade foods she is already eating.
There was a mom I met at my Dr office whose little one was HIGHLY allergic and they thought they had it all figured out.. They fed him cereal made with the super special expensive formula and he started puking violently and his throat turned RED.... Ends up he was also highly allergic to rice.... which is VERY rare I guess. They skipped that food and moved on..He grew like crazy on the formula..
Good Luck!

Jennifer Y said...

Uh, that's so frustrating!!! I remember EXACTLY what it was like when I couldn't figure out what was wrong with Venily!!! I used to bring her in to a ton of different doctors to try and figure it out and nobody knew what it was! She always had diarrhea, which caused bad diaper rash and yeast infections. I got so much conflicting advice from the doctors too! I remember so many times leaving the dr's office or getting off the phone with the doctor and just crying! I JUST WANTED IT FIXED NO MATTER WHAT IT TOOK! She ended up just outgrowing it after a LONG time!

I hope you get your answers or it clears up soon!!!

music_rxmama said...

You have a beautiful family!!!! I saw you on the baby center FPIES board and thought I would check out your blog. I hope you can find a good doctor or team (allergist, GI, dietitian) to work with-- it will at least make formulating a plan for your LO a little easier. Baby center is an awesome support, but there are also a lot of moms that blog about their FPIES experiences too, and you may get some really helpful information from them. I have a blog about our FPIES "nonsense" as it were:
http://babybeesfpiestestkitchen.blogspot.com/
Feel free to check it out and good luck to you and your LO!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...