Monday, July 27, 2009

Vacation at Waskesiu Lake - Part 1

Okay, I know it's been a few days, and I STILL haven't posted about our vacation! I have been so busy trying to catch up on things around here, that I just haven't had the time to be on the computer for very long. SO I decided I will do a bunch of smaller posts, detailing the different things we did!

I'll start with the trip there. We left our place at 7am, and had a pretty uneventful trip. We picked up breakfast at McDonalds in Drumhellar, and stopped in Kindersley for gas, and to let the kids run around for a few minutes to stretch out their legs. We were making good time, and the kids were doing awesome! We made it to Prince Albert by about 2:30pm. We went to McDonalds for lunch (yes I know, McD's twice in one day is a bit much, but it was just the easiest place to go!). We then headed to Superstore to get groceries. By the time we were done getting groceries and gas, it was just after 4pm. The kids were getting quite antsy, and we had JUST told them that we only had one more hour of driving, and we would be at the lake! That's when it happened - the Suburban made this LOUD grinding sound. Gairod quickly pulled over into a parking lot, and tried to figure out what was wrong. After ruling out a bunch of things, he still wasn't sure, but knew that we couldn't drive it up to the lake, we needed to get it looked at. By now it was 5pm on a Sunday, so of course we knew that nothing could be done until Monday.

We called my parents, who were at the lake, and got them to borrow my uncle's truck (since we needed something to tow the boat) and come down in two vehicles to get us, and all of our stuff. So we had to wait just over an hour for them to get there, then we had to unpack everything out of the Suburban and into the truck and car, and then finally we were on our way to the lake!

The poor kids were SO tired, but they were such troopers! By the time we go to the lake, it was 7pm, so we had a 12 hour day on the road - about 3 hours longer than it should have been!

We unpacked, had supper, and took the kids down to the park for a little bit before bed. They desperately needed to run off some energy, after being cooped up in the Suburban all day!

So until the very end, it was a good trip. The shop looked at our Suburban on Monday afternoon, and determined that we needed a new transfer case. I have no idea what this is or what it does, but thank goodness Gairod and my dad do! They had a new one in by Wednesday, so we were only without a vehicle for a few days!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...