Thursday, June 17, 2010

Scary!!

This morning, I had the biggest scare of my parenting life!!

The triplets were playing in the living room, I had just put Sage down for a nap, and I was in my room, making my bed. All of a sudden Kadance and Cole came running to my room saying that Hayden was puking! I ran out to the living room, my first thought being Oh great! He must have a stomach bug :(

When I got to the living room, I saw Hayden laying on his stomach on the floor, gagging, with a pile of puke in front of him. I quickly picked him up, brought him into the kitchen, and grabbed a bucket. Then he said "Tape measure in mouth". The kids had been playing with a small tape measure, and I thought maybe he had pulled out the tape part, put it in his mouth, and gagged on it. BUT, he was still gagging and puking, so I knew that wasn't what happened.

They way he was gagging and puking was different than normal, at first I couldn't figure it out, but then I got a sinking feeling that he had something stuck in his throat! I asked him if he had something in his throat, and he nodded YES!!! I started to feel panicky, I didn't know WHAT was in his throat, or HOW to get it out! I kept on asking him what was in his throat, and he kept on saying "tape measure". I was confused, Cole was holding the tape measure, and it looked like all of the pieces were on it, so I couldn't figure out what would be in his throat?! He kept on puking, so I couldn't even try to look and see.

Gairod had just left for work, so I grabbed the phone and quickly called him. I told him that something was wrong with Hayden, and I didn't know what, and he needed to come home right away!! He rushed home, and just before he walked in the door, Hayden finally puked up this:


A METAL KEY RING!!! The tape measure was a key chain!! I didn't even realize this, because they had just found it and started playing with it this morning. Also, the way Cole was holding it, I couldn't see the top, to see that there was a spot where the key chain would have been connected!

Gairod got Hayden cleaned up, and took a look at his throat, which he said looked scratched up a little bit, but nothing too serious.

I honestly think I was in a bit of shock. I still feel shaken up. I have never had something like that happen before, and I felt SO helpless, not knowing what exactly was wrong, or what to do! I am SO grateful that Hayden is okay, and everything turned out fine!

4 comments:

Jennifer Y said...

I remember one time we were out to eat with Venily when she was little and she was eating peaches. She started choking and couldn't breathe. Jason started freaking out and didn't know what to do and I jammed my finger as far down in her throat as I could and scooped them out. She screamed hysterically for like 20 minutes afterward, it was so sad. Jason was in shock for the entire rest of the day and every once in a while would say "I didn't know what to do... I just sat there, I didn't know what to do...!" He was shooken up for a long time afterward! I've been certified several times in CPR and first aid and stuff, but the second any thing happens to one of my kids, it is so easy to forget everything I've been taught! I think I'll brush up on my first aid skills after reading your story from today!!!

The Merry Band of Fife said...

Jenn - I was SO there back in December when Cecily swallowed the metal spring on a clothespin. Only she ended up needing emergency surgery to have it removed. Scary stuff, and just makes you hold them close, doesn't it?

Jenn said...

Melissa - I TOTALLY thought of your story later in the day! Very scary, DEFINATELY makes you hold them closer!

Mrs. Wilson said...

Jenn that is so scary, I am glad he is okay, I would have been panicked myself.:(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...