I am really starting to have mixed feelings about Facebook, kind of a love/hate relationship.
I LOVE Facebook, because I feel like it gives me a chance to connect with the outside world, which as a stay-at-home mom, isn't always easy to do. It is a great place to get advice or other peoples opinions, it's great to see pictures of other peoples kids, and stay connected with friends I don't get to see very often, or on-line people who I would never get to see.
But I HATE that it eats up so much of my time. I also hate the awkwardness of being "friend requested" by people, particularly family members (especially my mother-in-law), whom I don't want to be "friends" with. I don't want my MIL to see my status updates, my conversations with friends - it's just weird!
My brother-in-laws always bug me about how much time I spend on Facebook, and how often I update my status. How is it affecting them? Obviously they are on just as much as I am, if they notice my frequent changes, OR they are stalking my profile, which is kind of creepy and pathetic.
I DO spend too much time on Facebook, I KNOW I do. I have even recently started contemplating quiting Facebook, but I feel like I would be losing too many connections!
I HAVE started clearing out my friend list. Maybe I will stay on Facebook, but only be "friends" with the few people who I actually care about/talk to on it.
I don't know.
For the record, I removed my brother-in-laws from my friend list this morning! ;)
4 comments:
I cleaned out mine awhile ago too. You can choose to block people completely so that when they try and search you they can not find you. Then they will think i quit FB all together.
I know how you feel! My WHOLE family and in-laws are all on facebook! There are a lot of people I wish I could delete, haha, but can't. FYI- you can create different friend groups and have only certain groups look at any particular status, photo album, video, etc.! Or select certain people to NOT be able to look at something. Just click the little lock before posting and click custom or something like that!
I know how you feel. You can make lists and add people to the list you make so you can block them from seeing certain statuses or your activity at all. I too am on FB a lot (I am a photographer so I edit photos through out the day and have FB open). Dont let them make you feel down.
Jennifer - thanks for the info on locking people out of things, I thought you could do that, but I wasn't sure how!
Michelle - good tip on people thinking I am not on facebook anymore, I never thought of it that way before! (won't work for close relatives, but WILL work for annoying school aquaintances! lol!)
Post a Comment