Thursday, May 31, 2012

First few weeks of May!

Since we only ever have a few months of really nice weather each year, we've decided to focus on fixing up outside stuff for the Spring and Summer, and start back on doing inside house stuff in the Fall and Winter.

The first thing I wanted to do, was to get rid of this flower/rock/tree stump garden that the previous owners had, right at the bottom of the stairs, and start a vegetable garden to the left of it. I know that this is kind of a crappy "before" picture, but it's all I have! I didn't think to take a picture before the kids and I started pulling posts and rocks out! :)
 We got all the posts out, and all the rocks out (except for a couple of really big ones that we couldn't get out, so they will stay there for now!).

 Next we needed to move a bunch of dirt, pull up all of the landscaping cloth that was underneath it, and dig out the rotten tree stumps! It was a lot more work than I had originally thought it would be, but we finally had it ready to put down some grass seed! :)
 This is the spot I staked out for our vegetable garden. It is to the left of where the other garden was. We are going to make it 20 feet by 25 feet this year, but next year we will expand it, or do a second garden!
Gairod rototilled up the grass for me, and it is now ready to plant! :)
 May 21st, was Jade's 10th birthday. I honestly can't believe she is 10 already - How have the past 10 years gone by SO fast?!? I couldn't have asked for a better daughter. She is wise beyond her years, and she is always so helpful and kind. She is a true blessing <3
 Every year it's hard to plan stuff for Jade's birthday, because it always falls on or around the May long weekend. This year it was Monday of the long weekend. The little kids each drew a picture for Jade, which they were thrilled to give to her that morning. Gairod had to work the day shift, and Jade didn't think we were really going to do anything for her birthday. I even had her convinced that I had forgotten to pick up her cake when we were in town the day before! Actually, several days before, I had called all of our parents and siblings, and invited them out for dinner. Jade was definitely surprised when Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles started showing up! :)


Starting another beautiful day! <3
 Living out in the country means living close to wildlife - and we have definitely seen our share! We've watched deer and moose graze in our yard (I'm gonna need to put a high fence around my garden!!), and we've seen elk across the road. A few days ago, we saw an owl sitting on one of our fence posts!
 Next year for homeschooling, I plan on doing a lot more nature/animal studies. We are living in the perfect place to learn about many things first hand - and the kids are certainly interested! This last picture is of them slowly walking closer to the owl, to get a better look! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...