Sunday, November 20, 2011

Homeschool Decisions!!

If you don't homeschool, you may not realize just how many decisions are involved with homeschooling! Public school parents have it all layed out for them: This is when your kid starts school, and this is what we are teaching them. Easy. Homeschool parents have to decide MANY things: At what age should we start formal schooling? What curriculums or resources are we going to use? Should we school year-round, or follow a traditional school calender? The list goes on!

These choices are a big part of what most homeschool parents like - the fact that WE are in charge of our children's education, we can tailor things to work for our unique child/family, and we can change things up if they are no longer working!

So, with all of that being said, I am trying to decide when to start Kindergarten with Kadance, Cole, and Hayden. They will turn 5 years old on March 5th. In our area, the public school cut-off date, is February 28th. They missed the cut off for Kindergarten by 5 days. So, if they were to go to public school, they would go this coming September, when they are exactly 5 1/2 years old.


My original plan was to stick to the local school cut-off dates, and start the triplets on Kindergarten this coming Fall. There was NO WAY they would have been ready for Kindergarten this past Fall, and I was perfectly happy that they missed the cut off date, and the decision was out of my hands. Now however, I am SURE that we will be homeschooling them for Kindergarten, and I am starting to toss around other ideas.......

I have figured out which curriculums we are going to be using for Kindergarten, and I have ordered 3/4 of them already! SO, now I have started to think about possibly starting on Kindergarten in January! One of the wonderful things about homeschooling, is that we can start a new school year whenever we want, and we can take as long as we want to do a "year". If I start in January, we can work slowly, spend a year and a half doing Kindergarten if necessary, and really cement in the concepts before starting Grade 1. On the other hand, we still have a bunch of preschool stuff we are working on, and a bunch of preschool resources (workbooks and such) that we really "should" try to use up before moving onto K.

So, at this point, I am undecided. I plan on ordering the rest of our Kindergarten stuff, so that I have it either way. I am weighing the pros and cons of both options, and I would LOVE any input from other homeschoolers, and even non-homeschoolers! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...